With countless serums, creams, and cleansers on the market, it can be hard to determine which skin care products and methods will work best for you and your particular skin type. While you can certainly purchase any number of treatments to help improve your skin's overall look and texture, there are simple things you can also do to help ensure you have that healthy glow. Here are some tips to help you get the most beautiful skin you can have, all by doing or not doing certain things.
Skin Care Dos
- It is important to get plenty of sleep each night. Eight hours is ideal, but at least a good solid night of sleep each night will help keep your skin clear and fresh.
- Drink plenty of water every day. Water improves elasticity and helps keep your skin hydrated.
- Eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and veggies. Natural foods provide minerals and vitamins your body and skin needs.
- Use a good sunscreen every day. Even if you don't get sunburn, exposure to UV rays can cause wrinkles or worse, skin cancer.
- Make sure you purchase products designed for your particular skin type. For example, if you have oily skin, buy products that will not clog your pores. If you have dry or aging skin, look for items that provide much needed moisture.
- Exfoliate regularly. Scrubbing the skin of dead cell allows the new ones to regrow, and gives you a really healthy glow. It also encourages the production of new cells which will help keep your face looking fresh.
Skin Care Don'ts
- Try to avoid using toners with alcohol in them. Alcohol can dry the skin out and actually make existing problems worse.
- Do not pick at blemishes. Instead, let them heal naturally. If you pick at them it can cause permanent scarring.
- Never use bar soap on your face. Bar soap is extremely drying and can strip your skin of its natural oils, which are designed to protect your face.
- If you are experiencing acne, do not use special treatments too frequently. Product with things like benzoyl peroxide can bleach the skin and can actually make breakouts worse if applied too often.
- Stay away from products with synthetic dyes or sulfuric acid in them. These ingredients can be extremely harmful to your skin.
- Never go to bed with makeup on. Face makeup can clog your pores and prevent your skin from being able to breathe.
For more information, contact a local dermatologist (such as Waccamaw Dermatology & Plastic Surgery LLC).